Square Enix has signed a deal with strategy game specialist Wargaming.net to publish a new IP for PC based on, wait for it, World War II.
According to Square, "Order Of War will feature massive scale battles brought to life with a cinematic intensity never seen before in a WWII strategy game. Players will take command of an entire army including ground troops, artillery, tank divisions and aircraft in all out strategic assaults. The single-player mode can be played out in two campaigns - American versus German forces on the western front and German versus Russian on the eastern front - missions will be based on key historic events and operations from 1944."
Interestingly this marks Square's first release of a western developed game outside of Japan. "Order Of War offers Square Enix an exciting opportunity to enter this hugely popular genre, and is a strong proposition for our first western developed release," boss John Yamamoto. "With its cinematic intensity, hugely realistic battles and historical accuracy, the game looks set to whet the appetite of any war gaming fan."
Bullet point features highlighted by the publisher include:
- Experience WWII warfare on an epic, cinematic stage; that truly captures the intensity and scale of the battlefield.
- Take Command of an entire armoured force consisting of up to 1,000 soldiers, tank divisions, armoured vehicles, artillery and air force.
- Players can choose between two different campaign modes offering completely different storylines, missions, objectives and environments.
- Experience the unique dynamic camera that allows players to command troops over huge geographical scale whilst maintaining movie-like vistas and detail.
- In-depth gameplay modes - two different campaign modes, multi-player, Deathmatch and Skirmish'.
We don't know. We've seen a lot of WWII lately. How different can it get?