3DS reclaims top spot in Japan
22nd Sep 2011 | 12:03
3DS claimed the top spot on the Japanese hardware chart for the week ended September 18, having lost it to PS3 a week earlier for the first time since the handheld's mid-August price cut.
While PS3 sales suffered a notable decline, from 64,786 units to 36,061, 3DS sales jumped from 49,076 units to 58,837. That's despite another weak showing on the software front, with only two 3DS titles making the top 20.
The week's big new game release was Dragon Quest Collection. Launched as part of Square Enix's Dragon Quest 25th anniversary festivities, the Wii collection of the first three games in the series shifted over 263,000 copies to debut at No.1 on the software chart.
No other new entries made the top ten, Andriasang reports. Tales Of Xillia slipped to No.2, ahead of Resident Evil Revival Selection, Wii Sports Resort and Everyone's Rhythm Heaven.
Weekly hardware sales (previous week)
3DS: 58,837 (49,076)
PS3: 36,061 (64,786)
PSP: 25,122 (25,391)
Wii: 15,406 (10,743)
DSi LL: 2,869 (2,882)
DSi: 2,234 (1,957)
PS2: 1,317 (1,386)
X360: 1,295 (1,219)
DS Lite: 78 (51)
PSP go: 7 (13)
Weekly software sales (lifetime)
01. Dragon Quest Collection (Wii, Square Enix) 263,398 NEW!
02. Tales of Xillia (PS3, Namco Bandai) 47,297 (572,902)
03. Resident Evil Revival Selection (PS3, Capcom) 17,614 (111,382)
04. Wii Sports Resort (Wiim Nintendo) 15,109 (552,116)
05. Everyone's Rhythm Heaven (Wii, Nintendo) 14,647 (452,560)
06. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD (PS3, Capcom) 13,230 (374,013)
07. Atsumete! Kirby (DS, Nintendo) 10,888 (219,156)
08. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS, Nintendo) 10,504 (380,138)
09. Grand Knights History (PSP, MMV) 10,078 (94,419)
10. Monster Hunter Diary Poka Poka Felyne Village G (PSP, Capcom) 9,378 (192,720)