The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword has debuted atop the Japanese chart, selling 194,978 in its first five days of availability.
Other new releases to make the top ten included 7th Dragon 2020, Saint Seiya Senki and Metal Gear Solid HD, Andriasang reports.
Zelda's success helped drive a jump in Wii sales, although the system was still comfortably outsold by PS3, PSP and runaway leader 3DS.
Weekly software sales (lifetime)
- Zelda Skyward Sword (Nintendo, Wii): 194,978
- 7th Dragon 2020 (Sega, PSP): 122,498
- Saint Seiya Senki (Namco Bandai, PSP): 66,557
- Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo, 3DS): 61,710 (560,960)
- Metal Gear Solid HD Edition (Konami, PS3): 61,192
- Little Battler eXperience Boost (Level-5, PSP): 60,727
- Weiss Schwarz Portable (Namco Bandai, PSP): 47,586
- Uta no Prince Sama Music (Broccoli, PSP): 38,918
- Taiko Drum Master Wii Ultimate Version (Namco Bandai, Wii): 32,098
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 Subtitled Version (Square Enix, PS3): 29,726 (210,098)
Weekly software sales (last week)
- 3DS: 120,920 (96,219)
- PS3: 34,031 (40,085)
- PSP: 33,151 (41,069)
- Wii: 20,148 (13,613)
- DSi LL: 2,237 (1,813)
- X360: 1,678 (1,763)
- PS2: 1,294 (1,291)
- DSi: 993 (897)
- DS Lite: 35 (31)