Minecraft Pocket Edition getting survival mode
6th Dec 2011 | 21:22
Minecraft developer Mojang has revealed plans to update the Android and iOS versions of the game with a new survival mode.
The developer says that updates for the 'Pocket Edition' have been near nonexistent so far because, as soon as the Android version was done the team skipped straight over to getting the recently-release iOS version out the door.
Now that's done they can start working on new features for updates. The key new development it teases is new "Survival features", although it doesn't go into any more detail on that.
But it did list a few of its other plans:
- A new file system - to make sure we can support items and mobs in the world
- Item system - to be able to pick up items
- Crafting - we know you want this :) This will probably need some iterations since the interface will be customized for the touch devices
- Inventory system
- Mobs - animals and enemies!
- Optimizing rendering code - we are experimenting with caves but need to make it work better before we are able to release it
- Clean up of code and overall optimization
As a side note, if you're thinking about grabbing Minecraft: Pocket Edition on your Android phone, it's worth considering doing that now - it's only $.10 on the Android Market as a limited offer.
Want to get even more out of Minecraft? Be sure to check out our 12 best Minecraft texture packs feature, where we show the best free texture packs on the market.