Reviews for Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD have begun rolling out across the internet.
This title is... weird, to say the least, but in a good way. At least, critics seem to think so. Have a look at what they thought below.
- TheSixthAxis - 9/10: There's no doubt about it, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD is punching well above its £9.99 price bracket. The production values coupled with over ten hours of quality gameplay mean the game would easily be worth £40 if stuck on the shelf of your local retailer.
- Eurogamer - 9/10: On its initial release, this wonderful piece of work was all but ditched at retail by a publisher that didn't seem to understand what it was dealing with. Now Stranger's Wrath has finally received the lavish treatment it deserves, and the gaming world has a chance to reclaim one of its brightest treasures.
- Critical Gamer - 8/10: Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath was already a fine product, but this updated version sold at a budget price is a regular steal. Putting up with some irritating design decisions will make a few sequences feel unfair, but you'll still get in a meaty number of enjoyable hours before you reach the end. If you love Stranger's Wrath to death but lifting your old clunker of an Xbox out of storage is giving you back problems, this is the version to own; alternatively, if you've never touched an Oddworld game in your life, this is a great standalone game. Just keep an open mind and prepare yourself for a severe dose of weird; you're playing Stranger's Wrath now.
- PSN Stores - 5/5: Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is a wonderful game that has been lovingly updated for its PSN release. Time hasn't changed just how fun it is to play, the story is just as intriguing and mysterious as it was all those years ago, and the voice acting is still wonderfully off kilter. If you never played it when it first came out, I forgive you. Just make sure that you play it this time around.
- Blast Process - 9/10: Strategy is key when you want to become the best bounty hunter around, charging in and hitting your foes won't always give you the best results, stealth and surprise tactics will be needed. Keeping your enemy alive when you capture them will also give you more 'moolah', so its best to keep that in mind. It's not all about running and gunning... Stranger's Wrath also has platforming sections and puzzles to complete, you'll always want to see whats around the corner, so it's best to learn how to use the crossbow to best effect.
- Console Arcade - 4/5: It's easy to be fatigued by the near ceaseless slew of HD remakes that have cropped up recently, especially when some of them haven't made the grade. Stranger's Wrath HD does it properly by taking an already exceptional game, retaining what made it so compelling in the first place and merely tweaking here and there. It's all the better for it, making this a must-play title for fans of the original release and a fantastic introduction to the Oddworld series for those who might have missed them completely.
- AllAboutTheGames - 5/5: This is my third time playing though Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, and I can say without hesitation that this is the best its ever been. It's just as gripping as ever, but now it has the looks to match its beating gameplay heart. If you've not played this before, get it now. If you have played it before, get it now, it looks divine and the 60fps really makes it a joy to experience again. The best Xbox exclusive has now become the best PS3 exclusive, and if you have ever considered yourself a gamer you owe it to yourself to grab this as soon as humanly possible.
Will you be picking this up?