Medal of Honor dev wants to avoid annual Call of Duty fight
16th Mar 2012 | 12:40
There may have been plenty of respect shared between the publishers' competing development teams in the past, but their top executives don't tend to pull any punches, with EA - which is fighting to erode Activision's dominant FPS market share - particularly guilty of trash talk last year.
But Warfighter dev Danger Close says you won't hear that kind of sentiment expressed by its dev team in the run up to the game's October 23 release, which falls just two weeks before Activision's expected to launch the as-yet-unannounced
Referring to the sniping between the rival camps, Goodrich told the latest issue of GamesMaster: "I think that because of our genre and the history of our franchise... it's just a natural thing to want to go out and pick a fight.
"[But] if you look at it, almost none of it came from the development team. EA is a very big organisation, and there are a lot of grown-ups and adults that manage things that our out of our control."
Warfighter continues the 2010 Medal of Honour reboot's focus on real-life elite soldiers, the Tier 1 Operators. Its story loosely follows actual events and soldiers, and is co-written by real operators during mission downtime.
Goodrich added: "It would be almost disrespectful to come out and be boastful about a storyline that's putting you in the shoes of these guys. It doesn't fit. But that's just from us. I'm sure that comparisons will be made and things will be said, but not from here."
At GDC last week, we had a chance to chat to EA senior creative director Richard Farrelly about Warfighter's development, and specifically Danger Close's adoption of DICE's Frostbite 2 engine and its bid to create a signature look for the new Medal of Honor.