Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning DLC guide: Getting the most out of Dead Kel
6th Apr 2012 | 12:30
The Pirate themed Legend of Dead Kel DLC brings an extra set of main quests and side missions, additional Twists of Fate and plenty of new loot to the world of Amalur. However the most notable addition is Gravehal Keep, a Dverga ruin that can be repaired and upgraded to provide a whole host of stat boosts and rewards to help you through the game...
Upgrading Gravehal Keep
When you first arrive in Gallows End, speak to Padrig Dower who will take you to Gravehal Keep. After defeating the beasts that currently inhabit it, you claim the throne and set about restoring the buildings to their former glory.
Each upgrade is initiated in turn by speaking to Padrig Dower, who requires a selection of building materials that can be salvaged from around the island. If you don't already possess the required items then markers will be added to the map to allow you to locate them. Once the materials are gathered construction takes 24 in-game hours to complete, after which work on the next upgrade can begin.
1st Upgrade - Beast Pen
Requires: 3 x Sailcloth, 3 x Emberwood, 3 x Beachstone
The Beast Pen is situated in the grounds of Gravehal Keep and is run by Beast Master Cillian Keen, who can domesticate animals and train them as pets for you. You can keep up to three pets at a time, and each one provides a skill buff which can be increased by feeding them additional food in the pen.
The following list shows which animals can be domesticated, the food needed to initially catch them and the reward for training them:
- Boggart: 2 Bugs - Boggart's Blessing: Increased experience gain rate
- Brownie: 3 Fish - Brownie's Bite: Increased bleeding damage
- Rat: 2 Meat - Rat's Luck: Increased chance to critical hit
- Spider: 3 Bugs - Spider's Resistance: Increased poison resistance
- Wolf: 3 Meat - Wolf's Strike: Increased critical hit damage
- Bear: 5 Fish - Bear's Health: Increased health
- Barghest: 5 Meat - Barghest's Protection: Better protection against magic
- Root Golem: 6 Bugs - Golem's Power: Increased mana
[unlocks after completing main quest]
2nd Upgrade - Armoury
Requires: 2 x Emberwood, 2 x Sailcloth, 4 x Seasteel
The Armoury is built to the right of Gravehal Keep, holds a blacksmithing forge and is run by Master at Arms Ollie Madsen. Speak to him by the campfire in the grounds to initiate training by fighting beasts in the nearby pit, and by beating the record times against each beast you can unlock unique reward items.
These are the record times and the items you receive for beating them:
- Boggarts - 30 seconds
- Brownies - 28 seconds
- Rats - 25 seconds
- Spiders - 36 seconds
- Bears - 35 seconds
- Wolves - 38 seconds
- Barghests - 40 seconds
- Root Golem - 60 seconds [unlocks after completing main quest]
- Beat 1 Record - Dverga Ornamental Chain necklace
- Beat 3 Records - Dvergan Emerald ring
- Beat 5 Records - Dvergan Swords daggers
- Beat 7 Records - Trencher greatsword
- Beat all 8 Records - The Crafted Sun stave
3rd Upgrade - Tunnels
Requires: 3 x Beachstone, 2 x Bearhide, 3 x Seasteel
Opening up the Gravehal Tunnels adds Scout Zefwyn Lan to the grounds of Gravehal Keep. By speaking to him you can send him out to search various shipwrecks for salvageable items.
Salvaged items are randomised and include weapons, armour, building materials, reagents, shards and food. Sometimes Zefwyn will report he has been attacked and you will need to collect the items from a marked location on the map. It is also possible for Zefwyn to rescue additional characters, who are added to Gravehal Keep as trainers.
4th Upgrade - Library
Requires: 3 x Bearhide, 3 x Emberwood, 4 x Sailcloth
The Library is built to the left of Gravehal Keep, holds an alchemical lab and is run by Librarian Deirdre Gwint. She can translate any ancient texts you find, which awards XP as well making the translated text available to read in you inventory.
Completing this upgrade also adds Traveller Calum Toomey, who sets up a stall inside the main hall of Gravehal Keep and will purchase any stolen items you wish to sell.
5th Upgrade - Art Gallery
Requires: 4 x Beachstone, 3 x Emberwood, 2 x Sailcloth, 3 x Seasteel
The Art Gallery is built on the second floor of Gravehal Keep and is run by Artist Benwick Athelm. He has 6 paintings to restore, which need magical paints that you create for him by killing specific monsters. When restored these paintings hang in the gallery and grant permanent skill buffs.
The following list shows the paintings in order, the monsters required for them and the skill buff they provide once restored:
- Sea Cave: 4 x Scav & 6 x Murghan - +5% Gold Looted
- Mythal Keep: 6 x Faer Gorta & 3 x Murghan - +3% Ranged Damage
- The Witch's Lair: 6 x Faer Gorta & 1 x Root Golem - +10% Health and Mana
- Gravehal Keep: 4 x Boggarts & 6 x Scavs - +3% Melee Damage
- The Roots of Akara: 5 x Boggarts & 1 x Root Golem - +1 Health Regeneration
- The Black Atoll: Recovered during a Master of the Keep quest - +1 Mana Regeneration
- Scavs and Murghans can be found in Undersea Fasting.
- Faer Gortas can be found around Dark Harbour.
- Root Golems can be found around Siren's Den.
6th Upgrade - Tower
Requires: 3 x Beachstone, 4 x Bearhide, 3 x Emberwood, 3 x Seasteel
After completing the final upgrade which adds a tower to the top of the building, you become Lord of Gravehal Keep. By sitting upon the throne you can hear requests from members of your group, which open up Master of the Keep sidequests to complete for additional rewards.
Ambassador Myfa Rhonwen is also added to the main hall and can be sent off on diplomatic missions to neighbouring territories. Once relations are built through making Tribute and Trade, you can attempt to form an Alliance with each territory. If this is successful then the following rewards are received:
- Emberdeep: Dverga - an Auroch is added to the main hall
- Hrenloc: Varani - Erlen Vanik joins as an advisor
- Fort Olghorn: Ljosalfar - Sunhilda Lorelle joins as your future wife