Japanese chart: Yakuza 5 outsells Wii U launch games
12th Dec 2012 | 15:03
Yakuza 5 debuted at No.1 on the Japanese software chart during the week ended December 9.
The PS3 exclusive sold 357,000 copies, which was more than the combined total of the top three Wii U launch games.
New Super Mario Bros. U was the week's second best-selling game, ahead of Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Animal Crossing: New Leaf.
As previously reported, Wii U sales hit 308,000 units in its launch weekend alone, making it the country's best-selling console by a comfortable margin.
3DS sales came in at 211,500, PS3 sales at 37,000, PSP sales at 20,000 and Vita sales at 11,000, according to Media Create sales data republished on NeoGAF.
Software sales Dec 03 - Dec 09 (lifetime total)
- Yakuza 5 (PS3, Sega) - 356,757 / New
- New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U, Nintendo) - 163,528 / New
- Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS, Nintendo) - 129,054 / New
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U, Capcom) - 106,388 / New
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS, Nintendo) - 89,195 / 1.301.507
- Nintendo Land (Wii U, Nintendo) - 72,121 / New
- Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition (Wii, Bandai Namco) - 58.655 / 174,610
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS, Nintendo) - 47,929 / 1,501,086
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate and the Infinite Dungeon (3DS, Pokemon Co.) - 43,005 / 212,524
- Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney (3DS Level 5) - 29,271 / 158,127
Weekly hardware sales (previous week)
- Wii U - 308,142 (n/a)
- 3DS - 211,499 (167,408)
- PS3 - 36,994 (29,809)
- PSP - 19,637 (15,941)
- Vita - 11,039 (11,066)
- Wii - 6,714 (5,550)
- Xbox 360 - 1,216 (1,217)
- PS2 - 904 (812)
- DSi - 424 (457)